Mugachi Usal (Sprouted)/Green Gram Preparation
1 cup whole green gram, 2-3 green or red chilies, 1 tbsp cumin powder, 2 tbsp coriander powder or 1 ½ tbsp goda masala/ black Maharashtrian masala, ½ pinch of turmeric powder, ½ tbsp chili powder, pinch of asafetida/hing, 2-3 tbsp oil, 1 tbsp mustard and cumin seeds, salt and jaggery to taste. Coriander leaves and fresh grated coconut for garnishing.
- Day 1: Soak green gram in water for 6-7hrs or overnight.
- Day 2 morning: Fully drain the water, and spread green gram on cotton cloth or plate.
- Day 2 evening: You will see spouts. Or wait till sprouting.
Sprouting period varies from region to region.
How to make
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan.
- Add mustard and cumin seeds, followed by asafoetida/hing and turmeric powder.
- Now add sprouted green gram and add ½ cup water.
- Stir well, put the lid on and allow it to cook.
- When fully cooked, add coriander powder and cumin powder.
- Now add chili powder followed by salt and jaggery (optional).
- Mix well.
- Allow it to simmer for few minutes.
- Garnish with fresh grated coconut & coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with chapatti and a piece of lemon.